GOSFORD, Australia (AP): Usain Bolt’s football debut for the Central Coast Mariners yesterday lasted about 20 minutes against an amateur local team and with almost 10,000 people in the crowd. The eight-time Olympic gold medallist is trying to become a professional football player and has been given a tryout with the Australian A-League club based in Gosford, north of Sydney. Bolt started on the left wing and had a clumsy first touch but settled in and found himself in scoring positions a couple of times before having a stoppage-time shot blocked. “I was a little bit nervous, but as soon as I got on the field, I think the nerves went away,” Bolt told Fox Sports. “I wish I had more touches, but I’m not fit yet. I’ve just got to put in the work and get up to speed.” The Mariners already had a commanding lead when Bolt went on as a substitute in the 72nd minute – wearing the number 95 on his shirt – and easily won 6-1. The 32-year-old Jamaican predicted that it would take four to five months until he’s “playing like one of the guys.” Even if he doesn’t make it as a football player, Bolt can still draw a crowd. Some critics have said that’s what his trial period in the A-League is all about. Bolt has regularly said his ambition is real. The crowd for yesterday’s match was about four times bigger than the average home attendance the Mariners attracted last season. The Australian Associated Press reported that the exhibition game was broadcast in 60 countries.
0Shares0000MUNICH, Germany, March 12 – Arsene Wenger has told Arsenal to “make the impossible possible” at Bayern Munich with the Gunners needing to score at least three times in Wednesday’s Champions League last 16, second leg clash.Having lost the first leg 3-1 at Emirates Stadium three weeks ago, Wenger’s side face an uphill task to become only the second team to win at Bayern’s Allianz Arena this season. Wenger is urging his squad to be positive with Bayern weakened by the loss of France wing Franck Ribery with a sprained ankle, while both Germany midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger and defender Jerome Boateng are suspended.“We’re chasing the game in a very difficult environment against a team that has no doubts at all,” Wenger told Arsenal.com.“We have to try to put them on the back foot.“Subconsciously anyway, they think they are through and we have to subconsciously think that we can do it.“But our mentality is to go there, not resigned, but ambitious and provoke things.“We have to go there and give ourselves a chance to qualify with everybody believing we can do it.“The chance is small, but that chance makes the impossible possible. That would be a great credit for our team to do it. We have to try to achieve it.”Arsenal’s task is especially daunting against a buoyant Bayern side who proved their mettle by twice coming from behind in Saturday’s 3-2 win at home to Fortuna Duesseldorf which left them 20 points clear in the Bundesliga.Bayern have lost just once at home this season when Bayer Leverkusen pulled off a shock 2-1 win last October in the league, but Munich have won all of their eight games so far in 2013.Even without their stars Ribery, Schweinsteiger and Boateng, coach Jupp Heynckes has a strong squad to choose from but right-wing Thomas Mueller has said the team will not take the Gunners lightly.“Arsenal have nothing to lose, they can focus on attack,” Mueller, who has scored 17 goals in 32 games this season, told the Bayern website.Bayern know all about European disappointment having lost last season’s Champions League final at home to Chelsea on penalties and are wary of resting on their laurels, despite the big win in London.“We had a 1-0 win in Milan and then lost 3-2 at home to get knocked out,” said Mueller remembering Inter Milan’s 3-2 win in Munich in 2011 which saw Bayern exit at the same stage in the competition.“We can’t afford to be too relaxed.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Lampard broke the deadlock in the 47th minute, tapping home a low cross from James Milner at the near post to score his second goal in two games following Sunday’s equaliser against his former club Chelsea.Dzeko turned in a Jesus Navas cross in the 53rd minute and Navas made it 3-0 with a jinking run and fierce shot a minute later.Yaya Toure added a fourth from the penalty spot on the hour after Kamil Zayatte had been sent off for tripping Lampard, before late goals from Dzeko, substitute Jose Pozo and Lampard completed the rout.“I really enjoyed that because tonight we saw the team that we were used to seeing last year,” said City manager Manuel Pellegrini.“It is important to try to retain the trophy, but the most important thing tonight was to play like we did.”Chelsea gave a first appearance of the season to goalkeeper Petr Cech and took a 25th-minute lead against Bolton when debutant Kurt Zouma lashed home after Gary Cahill’s header was blocked at a corner.Matt Mills equalised for Bolton six minutes later with a header from a deep free-kick that crept inside Cech’s right-hand post, but Oscar gave Chelsea victory in the 55th minute with a low long-range drive.Chelsea will visit fourth-tier Shrewsbury Town in round four. – Dummett delivers Newcastle –Meanwhile, Tottenham Hotspur had to come from behind to win 3-1 at home to Nottingham Forest.Championship leaders Forest made a bright start, hitting the bar through Ben Osborn’s curler, and took the lead in the 61st minute when 19-year-old Jorge Grant tucked in a Lars Veldwijk cross.But substitute Ryan Mason drew Spurs level with a 25-yard shot in the 72nd minute and late goals from Roberto Soldado and Harry Kane sent Mauricio Pochettino’s side through.“We expected a good game, because Nottingham were unbeaten until tonight,” Spurs manager Pochettino told Sky Sports.“It’s great for the players and the team, and for the supporters, who encouraged us after we went 1-0 down.”Spurs will now host second-tier Brighton and Hove Albion, who won 3-0 at fourth-division Burton Albion.Paul Dummett scored an extra-time winner as Alan Pardew’s Newcastle, who are without a win in the league this season, claimed a much-needed 3-2 victory at Crystal Palace.Emmanuel Riviere’s first two Newcastle goals put the visitors 2-1 up after Dwight Gayle had given Palace the lead with a penalty, only for home debutant Sullay Kaikai to scramble home a 92nd-minute equaliser.Newcastle then had Mehdi Abeid sent off after he collected a second yellow card, but Wales full-back Dummett’s diving header with eight minutes of extra time remaining secured a fourth-round date with City.In the night’s other all-Premier League tie, West Bromwich Albion produced a stunning late rally to beat Hull City 3-2 and set up a trip to Championship outfit Bournemouth.Goals from Tom Ince and Robbie Brady put Hull 2-1 up after Brown Ideye had given the hosts a 15th-minute lead, but Gareth McAuley equalised in the 87th minute before Saido Berahino grabbed the winner a minute later.Arsenal were dumped out of the competition after losing 2-1 at home to Southampton on Tuesday, while Liverpool edged second-tier Middlesbrough 14-13 in a remarkable penalty shootout following a 2-2 draw at Anfield.Southampton will visit Stoke City in the next round and Liverpool will tackle Swansea City, who beat their Merseyside rivals Everton 3-0 on Tuesday.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000LONDON, September 25 – Holders Manchester City smashed Sheffield Wednesday 7-0 and Chelsea edged Bolton Wanderers 2-1 as both teams overcame Championship opposition to reach the League Cup fourth round on Wednesday.Frank Lampard and Edin Dzeko each scored twice as City strolled to victory with seven second-half goals at the Etihad Stadium, setting up a home game with Newcastle United.
Sami Khedira is going to be an Arsenal player apparently.Not only has a €25m fee been reportedly agreed with Real, but Lukas Podolski was heard shouting ‘Arsenal’ at his Germany team-mate during an interview.During the country’s World Cup victory celebrations in Berlin, Khedira was asked about his future when Podolski chipped in.Former Gunners manager George Graham told talkSPORT Arsenal “need” Khedira, so are you excited about the prospect of him following Alexis Sanchez to the Emirates?
Wellington Silva 1 Hertha Berlin have failed in their attempt to sign Wellington Silva on loan from Arsenal.The 22-year-old Brazilian has yet to feature in a competitive match for the Gunners, despite signing for them in 2010.He has completed loan spells at Levante, Alcoyano, Ponferradina, Real Murcia and Almeria during that time and Arsene Wenger is looking to ship the winger off to another club this season.According to Bild, Hertha had approached Arsenal about a possible deal but the north London club want to offload him to a Championship side to see whether he can deal with the physicality of English football.
NEW YORK – Larry Brown knows what the Pistons have, and he knows what the Knicks were missing. So he wasn’t surprised by what he saw Thursday night. Richard Hamilton scored 26 points, Rasheed Wallace added 23, and Detroit beat undermanned and overmatched New York 105-79 for its sixth consecutive victory. With Antonio Davis suspended for going into the stands the night before in Chicago and leading scorer Stephon Marbury still injured, the Knicks trailed by as many as 30 points and matched their worst loss of the season. They have dropped four in a row in a span of five nights. “It was like the JV against the varsity,” said Brown, who coached the Pistons the last two seasons. “I think they could’ve beaten us by 50.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded cardMarbury sprained his left shoulder in Monday’s loss to Minnesota, and Davis was ejected from Wednesday’s overtime loss in Chicago for entering the stands to confront a fan he thought was harassing his wife. Davis was suspended five games by the NBA on Thursday. The Knicks were forced to start three rookies for the first time in 20 years against what many consider the NBA’s best starting five. “They just did anything they wanted,” Brown said. “Rip could have had 100, actually. It hurts us not having Steph and Tony, but then again they’re at a whole different level than we are right now.” Tayshaun Prince scored 18 points for the Pistons, who have won both meetings this season against Brown. Eddy Curry scored 26 points for New York and Channing Frye had 15. “When a team is short-handed, you can’t allow them to hang around and feed off their emotions,” Pistons center Ben Wallace said. “Knowing that they got guys out, guys want to come out and play a little extra hard, try to pick it up. You can’t afford to let those type teams hang around too long.” Hamilton had 16 points at halftime, shooting 7 of 9. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe joys and headaches of holiday travel: John Phillips“The Bureau of Engineering has convinced me it does not make sense to rebid the project,” said Gerry Miller, chief legislative analyst. “Essentially there’s a lot of work going on and there’s not that many contractors. We run the risk of bidding again and paying more.” The council is expected to finalize a construction contract with Tutor-Saliba of Sylmar for $225 million, which only covers the cost of the headquarters building. The project will replace Parker Center with a modern building at 1st and Spring streets, across the street from City Hall. The council and mayor approved the project in 2004 with a $302 million price tag. The Bureau of Engineering will seek bids on the parking garage projects next year after the land is purchased. Though easily passed by the council committee, members asked for assurance that the price won’t keep increasing. “If gasoline keeps going up, and these other construction costs keep going up, is there a possibility this $420 million won’t be a cap?” Councilman Bill Rosendahl asked. A lack of bidders and rising construction costs have already pushed the price of the new LAPD headquarters nearly $100 million higher than initially proposed, and could raise it nearly $120 million over the original budget. The City Council’s Budget and Finance Committee on Monday OK’d a new $396 million budget for the 11-story building, a motor transport division garage and public parking structure. City officials warned the cost could ultimately reach $420 million because of higher costs for land and concrete, steel and other supplies. While the Board of Public Works had considered seeking additional, lower bids on the police headquarters construction, the council’s advisers warned the price of the project could increase with each new bid. City officials pledged close oversight and regular updates on the three-year project. But only one company, Tutor-Saliba, responded with a bid for just the construction of the headquarters building for about $200 million – $43 million over budget. Eventually the Bureau of Engineering managed to cut costs with changes such as unglazed windows and slower elevators, so the price of the building is now $225 million. Some city leaders also expressed concern with Tutor-Saliba’s past controversies with large public works projects, such as the Red Line subway, UCLA Westwood Replacement Hospital and the Los Angeles Unified School District’s East Valley High School. “We know there’s some concerns with the contractor,” said Chief Administrative Officer William Fujioka. “This isn’t some small project that will be off in the corner of our office. This will have a huge spotlight on it.” email@example.com (213)978-0390160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Google’s video service lets everyday users post clips, too, and unlike YouTube, Google also gives them the choice of selling video. All YouTube clips are free. YouTube was founded in February 2005 by three former employees of eBay Inc.’s PayPal electronic-payment unit, and its chief financial backer is the Silicon Valley venture capital firm Sequoia Capital, which has invested $11.5 million. Sequoia was also an early Google investor. When rumors circulated earlier this year that some major media companies were interested in buying YouTube, the company’s chief executive, Chad Hurley, said the company was not for sale and that a future initial public offering was possible.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESurfer attacked by shark near Channel Islands calls rescue a ‘Christmas miracle’“It’s damn cheap for a company that already has a global presence,” said Trip Chowdhry, an analyst with San Francisco-based Global Equities Research. “YouTube’s brand identity is no less than Google’s and is no less than Coke’s.” As YouTube’s popularity continues to soar, she said, Google can help make sure the site’s infrastructure can keep pace. The acquisition would also immediately propel Google to the top of the online video heap. YouTube eclipsed traffic on Google’s video site in February. By July, the number of monthly visitors had grown to about 30.5 million, compared with 9.3 million for Google Video and 5.3 million for Yahoo Inc.’s Yahoo Video, according to Nielsen/NetRatings. YouTube users watch more that 100 million videos daily. SAN FRANCISCO – Internet search leader Google Inc. is in talks to acquire the popular online video site YouTube Inc. for about $1.6 billion in cash and stock, according to published reports. Mountain View-based Google and San Mateo-based YouTube are still at a sensitive stage in the discussion, The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times reported on their Web sites Friday, citing unnamed people familiar with the negotiations. The blog TechCrunch had reported on rumors of the acquisition talks. Google and YouTube officials declined comment. Analysts said a Google acquisition of YouTube would make sense for both companies if the reported talks lead to a deal, especially considering Google’s $10 billion in cash on hand.
Peamount United striker Amber Barrett has admitted she has got one eye on an international call-up ahead of the weekend’s game against Galway WFC.Barrett is in fine form for the current Continental Tyres Women’s National League leaders with eight goals going into the weekend’s trip to Eamonn Deacy Park.The Peas find themselves top of the table after impressive recent wins over Shelbourne Ladies at Tolka Park and a 2-0 victory over ever-improving Cork City WFC.Peamount have a two-point lead at the summit and Barrett believes sitting at the top of the table is a huge bonus for the club.Barrett said: “We didn’t expect it, we said at the start of the year that we’ll get out there and get over the first few games and see where we are.“Certain results at the start gave us a real boost and we’re delighted to be where we are, it’s huge for the club. There is a long, long way to go though so there is plenty of points to be played for so we’ve got to take it one step at a time.”The Greenogue-club lost Roma McLoughlin and Tiegan Ruddy to Shelbourne Ladies before the current season started, both key players in the Peamount side last season.Despite losing those key players, the Peas have continued to improve this campaign and Barrett has credited the underage set-up.She continued: “If you look at the under-age set-up in Peamount, you’ve got internationals in every age group. Even in the Under 19 and senior squad, there is always a Peamount representative which shows the club is producing players.“Heather Payne and Chloe Moloney coming in from that system have been a huge boost for us. When we lost the players, it didn’t really get us down as we knew we had the players to step up and it’s great to see those young players getting their game-time.”Peamount winger Heather Payne has been called up to the last two Women’s National Team squads and was given her international debut in the 1-0 defeat to Scotland. Barrett hopes that her hard work will one day pay off in an international call-up.She admitted: “All the players in the league aspire to be involved in the international set-up and I’m no different. I know there has been a bit of talk around the striker position in the international team and I’ve just got to keep working as hard as I can for Peamount.“If Colin was to call me in, I’d be absolutely delighted. It’s something you always have in the back of your mind. To represent your country at senior level is a huge honour and it’s something I do have my eyes on but not getting overly worked up about.”Heading into the weekend’s game, Galway lost against Kilkenny, Kilkenny’s first-ever win in the WNL, and whilst Barrett says the win is great for the league, Peamount have got to be aware of a Galway backlash.Barrett said: “It’s great for the league to see Kilkenny get that result. I think they’ve been unlucky not to get a result as they’ve come close on several occasions. They’ve got some fantastic young players there and if they keep going the way they are, they will definitely be able to challenge at the top sooner rather than later.“Obviously the Galway girls are hurting at the moment so we’ve got to be at our best. With ourselves top of the league, everyone wants to beat us and Galway will be no different.”