A disabled activist who has campaigned to save the Welsh Independent Living Grant (WILG) is celebrating after the Welsh Labour annual conference voted to back his campaign.Nathan Lee Davies has led a campaign to force the Labour-run Welsh government to reverse its decision to scrap the grant, which was introduced to support disabled people with high support needs in Wales to live independently after the UK government closed the Independent Living Fund in 2015.An estimated 1,300 people in Wales receive support through the WILG scheme.And this week, at their annual conference, members of Welsh Labour voted in favour of a motion that called on their government to maintain WILG, at least until the next Welsh assembly elections in 2021.Before the vote, Davies had also secured support from Labour’s UK leader, Jeremy Corbyn, who posed for a picture holding one of the campaign’s “WHERE THERE’S A W.I.L.G. THERE’S A WAY” tee-shirts (pictured).After the vote, Davies posted a blog in which he described his “emotional day” following a victory he said was “key for disabled rights across Wales and throughout the UK”.He added: “We should all rejoice while remembering the fight is far from over as we need to ensure Welsh Labour listen to the will of their members.”Davies has previously described his terror at the prospect of his cash-strapped local authority taking over full responsibility for providing his care package, having been told that without WILG his own care package would be reduced from 86.5 hours to just 31 hours a week.He has described the campaign as a “life or death” fight.He told Disability News Service yesterday (Wednesday) that the passing of the motion was “obviously the high point of our ever-growing campaign” but that it “does not mean that we have succeeded in securing WILG”.He said: “We must continue with our campaign and ensure the Welsh government listen and act upon the wishes of their members.“One thing is for sure, we won’t rest until we preserve and improve the Welsh Independent Living Grant.”He thanked the cross-party and union support for his campaign – including the “wonderfully supportive” Clwyd constituency Labour party, which proposed the motion – and the other recipients of WILG.He particularly praised members of Welsh Labour Grassroots – which represents the Momentum movement in Wales – who he said had “worked tirelessly to ensure independent living remains an option for those with high care and support needs”.Davies is hoping that the Welsh government – which will have a new first minister in the autumn after Carwyn Jones announced that he would be standing down – will now reverse its decision to scrap WILG.A spokeswoman for Welsh Labour said: “As with all motions passed at conference, this will now be considered by Welsh Labour’s policy process ahead of the next assembly elections.”The Welsh government announced in 2016 that, after a two-year transition period, it would transfer all the £27 million-a-year provided by the UK government to support former ILF-users in Wales directly to councils.It decided there would be no continuation of the interim WILG scheme it had been running as a stopgap since the Department for Work and Pensions closed ILF in June 2015, and would not set up a new Welsh ILF, even though such a scheme had been set up in Scotland.All the £27 million-a-year funding is set to be transferred to Welsh local authorities this year, and they will be solely responsible for meeting the support needs of all former ILF-recipients by 31 March 2019.The Welsh government’s new Social Services and Wellbeing Act is supposed to provide new rights for people to access a re-assessment of their support at any time, with local authorities under new legal duties to support independent living.It believes that this is a more progressive system than the one operating in England.But Davies has said previously that the decision to transfer the £27 million to councils and close WILG meant the Welsh government had “sold disabled people down the river” and was “washing their hands of all responsibility for social care to former ILF recipients and transferring the pressure onto local authorities”.Picture by Delyth Lloyd Williams
Shadow Brexit Secretary Keir Starmer told The Today Show this morning that parliament will choose to extend article 50 rather than voting for Theresa May’s deal or allowing the UK to exit without a deal.ITV News reported last night that Theresa May’s brexit negotiator Olly Robbins was overheard in a Brussels hotel bar predicting that MPs will be faced with a choice between voting for May’s deal and delaying Brexit.The Today Show’s presenter Justin Webb interpreted the choice differently, asking Starmer: “If it gets to the end of March, you would, wouldn’t you, vote for her deal rather than no deal?”Starmer said that he didn’t think it would get to that stage and added: “Everything we are doing at the moment is a determined effort to ensure that we don’t get to that place…I think at that stage, there would be a concerted effort to force the Prime Minister to seek an extension of Article 50 and I think that would get a majority in the house.”Shadow Brexit secretary @Keir_Starmer: The prime minister’s actions are “brinkmanship” and if the UK is headed for a no deal near the Brexit date, a “concerted effort” to get an extension would pass Parliament #r4today | @justinonweb | https://t.co/WZT8tLDGCY pic.twitter.com/hgIokWLDxF— BBC Radio 4 Today (@BBCr4today) February 13, 2019 Tags:EU /Keir Starmer /Brexit /no deal /May’s deal /Olly Robbins /Brussels bar /Extension of Article 50 /
0% San Francisco artist and muralist Sirron Norris has launched a fundraising campaign to redo his first-ever mural – a surreal cityscape intertwined with cartoon characters and machines – to be replaced with one that reflects the city’s current struggles with inequality and police brutality. He wants the “makeover” to reflect and connect to the city’s “current political landscape.” It will be called “The Disruption,” a reference to the goal of many tech applications that seek to disrupt a traditional market. The old mural of a combination of San Francisco landmarks, buildings, humans, animals and futuristic machines, was painted some 16 years ago on the Bryant Street side of Norm’s Market at the corner of 20th and Bryant streets. In the mural’s new design, Norris’ signature blue bear cartoon character is pictured eating a burrito and wearing a red jacket, surrounded by seemingly frightened white neighbors. The scene was inspired by the March trial of the four San Francisco police officers who shot and killed Alex Nieto, a security guard armed with a taser while eating a Burrito on top of Bernal Hill in 2014. “Somebody died and it impacted our community in a major way,” said Norris, adding that he followed the case closely. “By using cartoons, I am able to shed light on this without turning people off right away. It’s how I translate these dark experiences.” The 1999 gray and brown mural was originally made with “house paint” and served as a satirical commentary on the city’s encroaching tech sector during the first dot.com boom. Painted in Norris’ now widely-recognized style – a provocative play on cartoon cliches – the “colorless” mural stood in stark contrast to the Mission’s traditionally vibrant murals. Norris then called it an “‘anti-mural.’”“The idea was to make that mural for this new gentrifying community that was coming in here,” said the artist, playing on the irony of being a Mission newcomer and a “gentrifying artist.” He targeted undesirable walls and public spaces as the neighborhood underwent its early rounds of gentrification.Having weathered two major tech booms Norris said the mural, as well as its message, was in need of an update. He plans to add color and to document the city’s recent history in order to make the mural “relevant again.”Earlier this month, the artist initiated a $5,000 Indiegogo campaign to pay for the renovation of the mural. As of Tuesday, Norris had raised $950 to pay for paint, supplies and to cover the stipends of local youth artists to help with the project. He plans to begin the project in September regardless of whether he reaches his goal.“I’ve been here long enough and I’m now educated enough that I feel it’s my responsibility to tell the city’s story in my own way,” said Norris who moved to San Francisco from Ohio in 1997. “I was an outsider too at one point. We all are. But it’s about what you do to uplift your community once you find out where you’re at and what the story is.” The Mission’s story, said Norris, cannot be told without a commentary on the citywide struggles of inequality, homelessness, and police brutality. The developments have inspired the commercial artist to mull over his own responsibility in contributing to the city’s culture.Vignettes illustrating incidents of discrimination, the rise of tech and the ousting of the city’s police chief laid the framework for the proposed new mural.Using the image of a slumped-over pig with five tents pitched on its back, Norris makes reference to the “Frisco Five,” a group of activists who staged a 17-day hunger strike in response to a series of police shootings that killed Black, Latino, and homeless community members. Their effort spearheaded a movement amid racial tensions that resulted in the resignation of then-police chief, Greg Suhr.Norris said that over the past year, the mural’s design was “living progress” as he watched tragedy unfold in his community.“I came from a lot of racism, and I moved to San Francisco to avoid that,” he said, adding that the recent violence has left him “kind of heartbroken” and is a result of the city’s economic inequality.“There’s a reality that [newcomers] are prejudging this community when these people have been here forever,” said Norris. Still, the artist said he is empathic. “They come from an environment where that’s not their everyday experiences to interact with urban youth, Black people or Latinos. Even though we try to gloss it up, it’s still the city underneath it all.”The mural, said Norris, is his way of contributing to the community’s collective healing. By asking for campaign donors, he believes that he is extending the opportunity to help to others. “I understand the irony of asking a tech community to fund something that blatantly makes fun of them, but they are ultimately the ones who will be receiving Indiegogo emails,” said Norris. “ There’s irony in art. And in a lot of ways, it’s almost like an acknowledgement that they are contributing to what’s going on here.” Tags: fundraiser • murals • painting • sirron norris • tech Share this: FacebookTwitterRedditemail,0%
Good morning Mission, I am starting the last week of my July guest chef instructor residency in Salento, the very tip of Italy’s stiletto heels. Follow me on Instagram to see all that I am teaching and learning and the development of my killer tan.I have learned as much as I have taught in this land where time is suspended between sun, sea and soil. I will be sad to leave but excited to share all that Salento has sparked in my culinary senses. Indeed, my late August and September teachings at 18 Reasons and The Civic Kitchen will be inspired by what I’ve absorbed through my fingers in this past month. One of the most surprising dishes was a light eggplant parmigiana. We often think of this evergreen as a cheese-loaded casserole built with deep-fried eggplant and a thick, long cooking red sauce of peeled tomatoes from a can.I am not judging; classic eggplant parmigiana has its well-deserved place. But in the version I learned with one of the chefs here, the protagonists are minimally transformed vegetables and fragrant herbs for which cheese is a but a light seasoning. It was so addictive, I had to leave the table to stop myself from eating the whole crock. Subscribe to Mission Local’s daily newsletter Email Address Summery eggplant parmigianafor an 8×8 baking dish (Printed version)1 or 2 purple eggplants totaling 1.5 pound in weightSalt as needed1.5 pound large overripe tomatoes1/2 small yellow onion12 to 15 basil leaves1/4 cup olive oilpepper to taste1/3 cup shredded scamorza (aged mozzarella)5 tablespoons grated parmigianoPlace a small pot of water to boil. Fill a bowl with iced water.Line a sheet pan with paper towels. Slice the eggplant in 1/2” slices, sprinkle them with salt on both sides and line them over the paper towels. Cover with more paper towels or parchment paper and weigh down with another sheet pan to abet releasing any bitterness they may hold.Using the tip of a paring knife, superficially score the bottom of each tomato with an X. Dunk them in the boiling water for 60 to 90 seconds depending on their size. Drain them and plunge them in the ice bath. The shock will rapidly cool the tomatoes and help the skin loosen from the flesh. Peel, seed and cut them in small chunks.Slice the onion paper-thin. Stack the basil leaves, roll them lengthwise as you would a joint and slice them into thin ribbons.Combine the onion, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of water and 1/3 of the basil in a sauté pan. Turn the heat to medium and sprinkle with salt to taste. Sauté until the onion is translucent and softening, then add the tomatoes. Cook rapidly for 15 to 20 minutes. The resulting sauce should be bright in color and flavor, slightly chunky and loose but not watery. Adjust salt and pepper and set aside.While the sauce is cooking, dry the eggplant well with a paper towel on both sides. Brush with olive oil and griddle, grill or bake at 325˚F until soft. It should take 10 to 12 minutes and you will need to turn them over halfway through cooking.Heat the oven to 350˚F.Count your eggplant slices and divide them into four even-numbered stacks. Brush the bottom of the baking dish with olive oil and sprinkle it with salt. Take the first stack of eggplant slices and create a slightly overlapping layer of eggplant on the bottom of the baking dish. Spread 1/4 of the tomato sauce over them. Follow with 1/3 of the scamorza, 1 tablespoon of parmigiano and 1/4 of the basil. Repeat in the same order twice more.Note that the layers should not be pressed, rather just gently rested on each other.Place the last layer of eggplant, top with the remaining sauce and dust with the last of the parmigiano. Bake for about 15 minutes, just enough to heat the layers all the way through and melt the scamorza.Let settle for five to 10 minutes. Garnish with the last of the basil and bring to the table.
TICKETS are on sale for Saints next four League fixtures.To find out more, click here to view the latest availability.Make sure you bookmark the page!
SAINTS will host a Business Evening on Wednesday January 16 and you are invited.Come and see what the Club can do for your business.The event will be held in the Lookers Vauxhall Premier League from 6pm onwards and there will be a selection of buffet samples and canapes plus a free pint of Saints Gold.To RSVP email the club on firstname.lastname@example.org
In partnership with our Official Kit Partner O’Neills and, as already seen on the first team squad during pre-season training, it is the perfect way to show you are Saints & Proud.Plus, it’s the ideal Christmas gift for the Saints-mad loved one in your life.The range is designed to offer the players the ideal garments to wear when training, as well as offering fans a casual way to show their Saints colours.A range of Training T-Shirts, Vests, Polo Shirts and Jackets are now available in a variety of colour ways – including the core range colours of marl grey, black and white.Click here to view the Adult range, here for The Ladies range and here for Junior rangeFree click and collect is also available on all online orders placed at saintssuperstore.comThe Superstore at the Totally Wicked Stadium is open 10am – 4pm Saturday and 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday, with Christmas extended and late night shopping hours to be announced soon.#saintsandproud
The vehicle will assist SCDF and the club in delivering important community programmes around the country.It also highlights OddBalls’ important testicular cancer campaign too.Steve Leonard from the Foundation said: “I would like to thank OddBalls for their generosity. Through our community programmes we reach more than 50,000 children a year and this van will help us continue to spread our message far and wide.“We are delighted to partner with OddBalls and look forward to the relationship developing in future years.”
Enjoy an evening under the stars this Saturday, November 11th from 7-10 p.m. at the Blockade Runner Beach Resort at Wrightsville Beach.Tickets are $60 in advance or $75 at the door. Food and drink is included in the ticket price.There will be a silent auction with various items up for bid, including a golf outing at Eagle Point Golf Club, a vacation at Bald Head Island, fine dining packages, tickets to Carolina football and basketball games, shopping, children’s packages, stand up paddle board, and more.Related Article: More residents forced out of local apartments due to storm damageThere will also be a bonfire, dancing, corn hole and North Carolina trivia with prizes.The Flavor of NC was designed to highlight the state and raise funds to help move people from homelessness back to being neighbors. Tickets are available online or by calling (910) 763-4424 x113.To learn more about the Good Shepherd Center, click here. WRIGHTSVILLE BEACH, NC (WWAY) — This weekend, enjoy the 4th Annual Flavor of North Carolina.This event supports the Good Shepherd Center in Wilmington, which aims to help shelter the homeless.- Advertisement –
He says they are working on an evacuation plan and hope to announce it late Monday or Tuesday.“We’re still working on the details with our partners but I want you to rest assured that this is a unified effort between the federal the state the local and municipal partners on any sheltering and evacuation orders that we do have coming,” Still said.Governor Cooper came to New Hanover County Monday afternoon to make sure people understood how serious this storm could be and explain what the state is doing to keep people safe.Related Article: OTTER DISAPPOINTMENT: New aquarium exhibit delayed 1 yearHe says unlike South Carolina, who ordered the entire coastline to evacuate Monday, North Carolina leaves that decision up to local governments.200 National Guard troops have been mobilized and shelters are being set up.Gov. Cooper says to use the next two days wisely, get prepared, have a plan, and above all stay safe.“Understand that this can be a life threatening situation,” Gov. Cooper said. “We’ve lost lives before during hurricanes. This storm has a potential to be deadly. And when we hear forecasters talk about the severity of this storm, we know that we have to take it seriously.”Still says area beaches will potentially see 12 to 15 foot waves and there will be a designated shelter for people with pets.Cooper says if local governments do issue evacuation orders, follow them. WILMNGTON, NC (WWAY) — A briefing was held on Hurricane Florence at the New Hanover County Emergency Operations Center Monday morning.New Hanover Co. Emergency Management Spokesman Steven Still says the county declared a State of Emergency at 11 a.m. and he expects other municipalities to follow suit.- Advertisement –