Bahamian vendors suffer losses after Fyre Festival

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, July 7th 2017 – Nassau – Tourists who expected to have a memorable and fun experience at the failed Fyre Festival in Exuma earlier this year are not the only ones left with repercussions. Minister of Tourism, Dionsio D’Aguilar yesterday confirmed that Bahamian vendors would also have to cut their losses.D’Aguilar called it risky business and said, “The chap went bankrupt.” Adding also, “the event crashed and burned, and you know, that is one of the risks of business. When you go into business there is a possibility of something happening”Fortunately, the minister explained that the government has made some strides in recovering any losses it may have suffered. He revealed that the government was able to seize the container with musical equipment and staging which was used to secure Bahamas custom fees, landing fees, and immigration charges.However, the government does not have the responsibility of reimbursing any of the local vendors who also went into business for the event. Hundreds of tourists expecting to partake in an event advertised to be “one of a kind”, spent thousands of dollars, only to be left stranded on an island in Exuma without as little as food or proper accommodations.Last Friday, CEO of Fyre Festival, William McFarland was arrested and charged with wire fraud. As a result, D’Aguilar said on the former government’s part, due diligence was not done and it is something that should not be repeated going forward.Story By: Kay-Marie Fletcher#MagneticMediaNews Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp ALERT # 2 ON POTENTIAL TROPICAL CYCLONE NINE ISSUED BY THE BAHAMAS DEPARTMENT OF METEOROLOGY THURSDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER, 2019 AT 9 PM EDT Recommended for you Related Items:#magneticmedianews The Luxury of Grace Bay in Down Town Provo Electricity Cost of Service Study among the big agenda items at September 11 Cabinet meetinglast_img read more

Raheem Sterling says Manchester City is motivated

first_imgThe team returned to winning ways after a 3-1 victory over Southampton in the last match of 2018 for the English Premier LeagueAfter two consecutive defeats in the English Premier League, Manchester City is back to winning ways by beating Southampton 3-1.And for footballer Raheem Sterling, this is because the team is motivated.“It’s a massive step and what we needed to do. We had two poor games and we knew we needed to win here today to give ourselves a chance,” said Raheem to the club’s official website.Jose Mourinho is sold on Lampard succeeding at Chelsea Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho wanted to give his two cents on Frank Lampard’s odds as the new Chelsea FC manager, he thinks he will succeed.There really…“But we were really motivated to give ourselves a chance and that’s what we did.”“We had to bring that level that we know we can bring – we had a bit of luck but we played some great football and controlled the game which we know we can do,” he added.“Now it’s down to us to keep this focus and go onto the next one.”last_img read more

Armys Mark Esper Addresses ADC 2019 Defense Communities National Summit

first_imgArmy Secretary Mark Esper addressed the 2109 Defense Communities National Summit Monday in a keynote discussion session where he touched on a range of pressing Army, installation and community issues.His keynote discussion kicking off the Summit was moderated by ADC President Bill Parry.Below are a few highlights of Esper’s comments:On the State of Military Housing: “We are moving into the hard part of the process,” Esper said. He said DOD’s next priority will involve “building the back-end accountability culture” necessary to resolve privatized housing issues. He also highlighted the Pentagon’s actions including conducting town halls, establishing 1-800 hotlines, meeting with privatized housing firms, military members and spouses. He also emphasized the tenant’s bill of rights should be finalized soon so tenants have a vehicle to dispute unsatisfactory conditions.On the Military-Civilian Divide: “The civilian population and armed forces are moving in opposite directions,” Esper said. He emphasized that the divide affects recruiting and that approximately 1 million service members are currently providing protection for about 326 million civilians. He also highlighted the Army’s upcoming “Focus 22” recruiting strategy to reinvigorate its recruiting efforts in America’s top 22 population centers.On Military Family Quality of Life: Esper said that the Army has an “enduring commitment to its soldiers and their families.” Esper particularly voiced the top installation and community quality of life priorities, such as quality child care, education, housing, infrastructure, and raising the profile and opportunities for military spouse employment.ADC photo provided by Will Noonan ADC AUTHORlast_img read more

Trump terms journalist enemy of the people

first_imgA White House staff member reaches for the microphone held by CNN`s Jim Acosta as he questions US president Donald Trump during a news conference in Washington. Photo: ReutersThe White House on Wednesday suspended the press pass of a CNN reporter who earlier sparred with Donald Trump at a news conference, in which the US president branded the journalist an “enemy of the people.”A visibly angry Trump had called reporter Jim Acosta a “rude, terrible person,” after the CNN White House correspondent refused the president’s orders to sit down and give up the microphone during the conference one day after the US midterm vote.”The White House is suspending the hard pass of the reporter involved until further notice,” said White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders hours later, referring to Acosta, who then tweeted that he had been denied White House entry.The heated exchange began after the prominent journalist clung to the microphone and persisted with questions about the president’s views on a caravan of Central American migrants making its way to the US border.Trump said “that’s enough!” and a White House intern unsuccessfully tried to take the microphone from the CNN journalist.”President Trump believes in a free press and expects and welcomes tough questions of him and his Administration,” Sanders said in her statement.”We will, however, never tolerate a reporter placing his hands on a young woman just trying to do her job as a White House intern. This conduct is absolutely unacceptable,” she said.Acosta shot back at the accusation of misconduct, tweeting “this is a lie” — as his network and a number of Washington journalists who had been at the press conference voiced support for him.”Secretary Sanders lied,” CNN said in a statement, saying the press pass suspension was “done in retaliation for challenging questions.”Sanders “provided fraudulent accusations and cited an incident that never happened,” the US cable network said.”This unprecedented decision is a threat to our democracy and the country deserves better. Jim Acosta has our full support.”‘ONGOING ATTACKS’An association representing the Washington press corps urged the White House to “immediately reverse this weak and misguided action.””The White House Correspondents’ Association strongly objects to the Trump Administration’s decision to use US Secret Service security credentials as a tool to punish a reporter with whom it has a difficult relationship,” the group said. “Revoking access to the White House complex is a reaction out of line to the purported offense and is unacceptable.”It was the latest in a long history of fiery run-ins between the mercurial Republican leader and Acosta.At the conference Trump, when asked if he had “demonized immigrants” during the midterms campaign, replied: “No, I want them to come into the country. But they have to come in legally.”Acosta persisted, saying: “They are hundreds of miles away. That is not an invasion.”At that point, the president snapped.”Honestly, I think you should let me run the country. You run CNN, and if you did it well, your ratings would be higher,” Trump said.As the reporter continued, Trump declared: “That’s enough, put down the mic” and walked away from his own podium, as if leaving.The intern attempted to grab the microphone from Acosta, who nevertheless tried to shout out one last question.Waving his finger, Trump berated him.”I’ll tell you what, CNN should be ashamed of itself having you working for them. You are a rude, terrible person. You shouldn’t be working for CNN,” he said.When NBC reporter Peter Alexander took the mic for the next question, he defended Acosta as a “diligent reporter” — earning Trump’s ire.”I’m not a fan of yours either. To be honest. You aren’t the best,” he said.Looking back at Acosta, who again rose up in his own defense, Trump added: “When you report fake news, which CNN does a lot, you are the enemy of the people.”In response, CNN said “this president’s ongoing attacks on the press have gone too far,” in a statement.”They are not only dangerous, they are disturbingly un-American.”last_img

New 4G network could cause widespread GPS dead zones

first_img(PhysOrg.com) — If a plan to build new 4G mobile phone base stations in the US goes ahead, engineers say GPS satellite navigation systems will be seriously jammed and huge areas of the country will become GPS dead zones. Explore further © 2010 PhysOrg.com Virginia company LightSquared communicates with satellites using low-power signals in the frequency range 1525 to 1559 MHz, which is close to the frequency range GPS uses (1559 to 1610 MHz). So far this has not caused interference problems but if the planned 40,000 new high-power 4G base stations are built they would use stronger signals in the same frequency range.LightSquared hopes to complete the 4G broadband network by 2015 at a cost of up to $8 billion. The network is expected to deliver mobile phone users download speeds of up to 10 megabits per second.Engineers Scott Burgett and Bronson Hokuf with Garmin International, a satellite navigation systems manufacturing company in Olathe, Kansas, say the stronger signals will be disastrous, seriously limiting GPS reception, causing widespread GPS jamming and depriving vast areas of the US of GPS coverage.The engineers carried out laboratory testing on a portable GPS device and a general Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)-certified aviation receiver. A Spirent GSS 6560 simulator representing the current configuration of 31 GPS satellites was used to simulate the GPS signals. The LightSquared transmission signal was simulated by a Rhode and Schwartz signal generator and amplified to produce the required signal strength.The results were that the GPS began to experience interference when 5.8 km or closer to the simulated LightSquared transmitter and lost the fix altogether when 1.1 km away. Interference started at 22.1 km for the aviation receiver, and total loss of fix occurred at 9.0 km from the transmitter.The US air force is also concerned about the interference. General William Shelton, head of the US Air Force Space Command, said at a recent Air Warfare Symposium in Orlando that if LightSquared’s network goes ahead and GPS systems are jammed we should “think about the impact.” He said he was hopeful a solution could be found but LightSquared had to prove they could operate without interfering with GPS.LightSquared spokesman Jeff Carlisle said the base stations are not at fault, but the problem could arise because some GPS receivers may be able to “see into” the neighboring frequency at which LightSquared operates. He said the company has already spent $9 million on a series of filters to prevent its current signals from interfering with the weak GPS signals, and if a problem will exist with the new network only some highly sensitive GPS receivers will be affected.LightSquared was given a provisional permit late last year by the US Federal Communications Commission (FCC), but the permit stipulated that the network should not cause interference with other signals.Burgett and Hokuf forwarded their report to the FCC on January 19. LightSquared is now required to submit an initial plan for working with federal agencies and GPS companies to determine how to deal with interference. The plan is due at the FCC by February 25, and a final report is due on June 15. LightSquared cleared to offer wireless broadband Citation: New 4G network could cause widespread GPS dead zones (2011, February 23) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2011-02-4g-network-widespread-gps-dead.html This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.last_img read more

Shades of Bengal colour the Capital

first_imgThe eastern state came visiting Delhi through Chalo Chalen Bengal (Let’s visit Bengal). The campaign aimed to project the tourism potential of West Bengal, attract more domestic and foreign tourists and facilitate better interaction with investors and industry stakeholders like travel operators.Chalo Chale Bengal witnessed a grand launch in the Capital with Krishnendu Nayaran Choudhury, Minister for Tourism, Government of West Bengal unvieling a new state-of-the-art tourism information centre at the WBICC (West Bengal Information and Cultural Centre). He also inaugrated Beautiful Bengal, a photography exhibition by Sanjay Das at the Muktadhara Art Gallery. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’The day’s event proceeded along with a colourful ensemble of folk forms and cultural attractions of West Bengal, including Pat-er Gaan (songs about the rural tradition of story-telling with the help of scroll paintings), Baul Gaan (representing the unique spiritual musical heritage of Bengal) Purulia Chhau (tribal martial dance) and contemporary Bangla songs by Chandrabindoo.The next was an interactive session involving the Minister, senior officials of the Department of Tourism, Government of West Bengal and various stakeholders of the Indian tourism industry, including representatives of the Indian Association of Tour Operators (IATO) and Adventure tour Operators Association of India (ATOAI) which was followed by B2B meetings with potential tourism and hospitality sector investors, under the theme- Investment Opportunities.last_img read more

Calcutta Medical College to set up childrens park inside campus

first_imgKolkata: In a unique move, the Calcutta Medical College and Hospital (CMCH) is planning to construct a children’s park with all the basic amenities outside the hematology department of the hospital so that children coming to the department with various blood related ailments can spend some quality time with his/her family members there.According to the senior official of the hospital, the construction of the children’s park will begin soon near gate number 1. The matter is already under process. The main purpose behind the idea is to ensure that children who come to the department with rare blood diseases can enjoy at the park. This will reduce the stress of the patients and help them overcome monotonous lives. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsA senior official of the hospital said there would be various amusement rides and games for children. A children’s swing will also be erected inside the park. It was learnt that the proposed children’s park would be situated close to the Hematology ward. This will also be developed as a part of the beautification work taken up inside the hospital campus.Patients suffering from Thalassemia and other blood related problems often visit the hospital for blood transfusion. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Merc, 2 B’deshi bystanders killedMany others visit the outpatient departments of the hospital. Due to huge pressure of patients, children have to wait in queue for a long time which often becomes monotonous for them. Once the Park is constructed, those children can take a stroll in and around the park, spend some quality time with their parents enjoying the amusement rides which will be installed inside the park. The Park will be illuminated with various colourful lights. There will a big size water reservoir situated under the fountain. There are plans to set up a fountain inside the park as a part of the beautification drive at the hospital. Apart from developing a new one, some renovation works would be done at the existing park. In another significant move, the CMCH authorities have started the installation of an underground fire fighting system to check fire hazards at the hospital.A senior official of the hospital said: “The construction of the children’s park is expected to start later this year. The project will not only beautify the hospital campus but also be the reason of choice for the little children coming to the hospital from the far flung areas.”last_img read more