Comedian, who mocked Russian team before World Cup, calls them heroes now

first_imgA comedian, who called Russia’s World Cup soccer team “shit” in a music video watched online by at least 12 million people, released a new song on Sunday in which he said sorry and his co-performer hailed the national side as heroes.Semyon Slepakov’s original song, “Ole Ole Ole,” was released before Russia’s first match earlier this month and tapped into the views of many Russians who regarded their players before the tournament as underperforming and destined for a humiliating and early exit from the competition.The jokey song was well received by many Russians at the time, but angered some fans and politicians, including the Kremlin-backed head of Chechnya who said he found part of it offensive.Since its release, Russia has dramatically confounded its critics, beating Saudi Arabia 5-0 and Egypt 3-1, earning itself a place in the knockout stage in an unexpected turn of events that has delighted the Russian public.FIFA WORLD CUP 2018 FULL COVERAGESlepakov, whose patriotism had been called into question by some fans, teamed up with Sergei Shnurov, the founder of the band “Leningrad”, to try to make amends in a new song called “Champions”.Released on Sunday, the track, peppered with expletives, quickly garnered over 500,000 views and was the top trending item on YouTube in Russia.’YOU ARE NOW HEROES'”Forgive us guys, we were real morons,” Slepakov, accompanied by Leningrad’s musicians, sings.”We did not believe in you solemnly, did not clench our fists. In front of the whole country, we shouted at you that you were surplus to requirements! How many times did we repeat that whatever happened you would screw up!”advertisementFIXTURES | POINTS TABLEShnurov, in the same song, sings that the Russian team’s unexpectedly strong performance has generated nationwide euphoria and that Russians, who used to curse the team, are now toasting their footballers with vodka.”You are now heroes for us. The people are queuing up to bow down to you. If somebody opens their mouth (to speak badly of the team) we will rip their mouth apart,” he sings.Song mocking Russian team goes viralRussia, who began the tournament ranked as the weakest team in the tournament by FIFA, are due to play Uruguay on Monday in the city of Samara, but are already guaranteed a place in the knockout stage.The new song had a warning for the Russian team however, pointing out that the Russian public is fickle.”We will kiss your boots, but know this. If you lose even once you will immediately become scumbags.”last_img read more

TOUCH FOOTBALL AUSTRALIA FAREWELLS LYN DUNN

first_imgTouch Football Australia’s National office in Canberra has been blessed for the past 14 years by the guidance and leadership of office manager Lyn Dunn. Unfortunately all good things must come to an end, and it is with reluctance that TFA bids farewell to Lyn as she finishes up her 14 year tenure with the National body tomorrow and moves on to greener pastures with a position in the real estate industry.Since becoming part of the Touch Football organisation in 1993, Lyn has undertaken myriad roles and responsibilities and assisted the sport through times of change. Lyn has overseen office management, building maintenance, human resources, invoice control, coding and financial processing, the national insurance scheme, affiliate record keeping, licensing and minute keeping at committee and annual general meetings. Those that have had the privilege to work with Lyn provide glowing reports of her professional and personal qualities. Mr. Peter Topp, former National Technical Manager at Touch Football Australia, worked with Lyn for several years and said her ability to work under pressure was outstanding.“Lyn managed the office and the environment; she managed the personnel side of things and the finance side of things in the earlier days before it was as big as it is. She managed all the affiliations, she managed all the insurance, so she did all the stuff that people don’t really like doing. “She did all the jobs that were necessary to keep the office and the organisation operational. She’s going to be a tremendous loss to the organisation. Our loss is someone else’s gain,” Mr. Topp said.  Mr. Bill Ker currently a Director on the Touch Football Australia Board of Management, worked with Lyn for more than 11 years in his former role as the Chief Executive Officer of the National body, and echoed Mr. Topp’s sentiments. Mr. Ker said Lyn’s diligence and dedication were among most impressive attributes. “She had a clock in her office but I don’t think she ever looked at it. You usually had to tell Lyn to go home rather than the other way round. Her integrity and her presence of mind to make sure the job got done were basically irreplaceable in my opinion, and that brushed off onto all the other staff as well,” Ker said. Lyn’s focus on maintaining the appearance of the office environment has been legendary. “We all used to have a heart attack if someone spilled a coffee on the office carpet. You were always trying to move something over the top of it so Lyn wouldn’t see it because she was just so keen to make sure that building looked like it did the day we moved into it. So there was always a joke about that; don’t spill any coffee or Lyn will have your guts for garters,” Mr. Ker said.  Lyn’s presence in the TFA National office will be irreplaceable but her legacy will be the knowledge that she has imparted on the people that have worked with her. Everyone that has been part of the Touch Football community over the past decade would have had contact with Lyn, whether directly or indirectly. She has made an immense contribution to the sport, especially in the field of best practice administration.Former President of the Federation of International Touch, Mr. Cary Thompson who has known and worked with her in various capacities for National and International events, said Lyn’s best qualities were her honesty, reliability, and capacity to care about what was happening within the organisation. “She was pretty efficient in completing tasks that you would ask her to do. If you wanted it done, it was done yesterday, not in a week’s time,” he said.  Touch Football Australia CEO, Mr. Colm Maguire, whilst sad to see the National body’s longest serving employee go, was glowing in his praise for Lyn’s contribution to the sport.“Lyn is held in the highest regard by so many people in the sport nation wide. Her dedication, commitment, and professionalism led the way for the organisation for the last 14 years and it will not be easy to replace a person of Lyn’s calibre. We do know that she will be a tremendous acquisition for her new employers, and we wish her every success and happiness in the next chapter of her life, she will be remembered fondly by the TFA family and the firm friendships she has made will remain, ” Mr. Maguire said.last_img read more

a month agoMan Utd chief Woodward declares commitment to ‘Ole’ and long-term plan

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man Utd chief Woodward declares commitment to ‘Ole’ and long-term planby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward says they’re focused on building for the long-term.As the United chief announced record annual revenues of £621.7million today, he insisted everyone understands the plan.He said, “We and our global fanbase demand success and winning trophies – that target and standard has never changed. The progress on the business side underpins the football operation.”Much progress has been made on the academy, recruitment department and the training ground, and behind the scenes, so this isn’t always apparent.”These investments we have made and our commitment to Ole in March provide the building blocks for success.”We are wholly confident this approach will deliver, but it is important to be patient as we build for the future.Woodward even credited his staff for not getting distracted by the transfer rumours circulated around Old Trafford.The 47-year-old noted: “We won’t be influenced by short terms distractions.”The club was linked with hundreds of players, but despite this our recruitment department was able to approach the window in focused and disciplined way.”Danny James, Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Harry Maguire joined a strong squad and we also renewed contracts for players like Marcus Rashford and David De Gea. We are optimistic for the future.”The sale and loaning of players allowed the manager to involve more young players, providing a firm foundation and culture ready for building next trophy winning squad.”Much speculation is focused on recruitment and it is area we’ve evolved. The players signed demonstrate this approach is right.”The root of the club is youth-led attacking football, and it is the right way forward. Everyone from the manager, players and board remains resolute in the desire to get Manchester United to the top of English football.”We will continue to make the necessary investment to make this happen.” last_img read more

Delhi govt asks DMs to review court tribunal cases on fortnightly basis

first_imgNew Delhi: To streamline processing of court and tribunal cases, the Delhi government’s revenue department has issued guidelines, asking all district magistrates to review cases on a fortnightly basis and send a report.The department warned of disciplinary action against erring officers for any lapse in compliance of guidelines.The additional district magistrates will be the reviewing officer and an officer not below the rank of the tehsildar will be the nodal officer-legal-cum-parivi officer for all cases involving revenue districts, according to the the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP). Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderThe nodal officer-legal will maintain the complete record of all court and tribunal cases in electronic module with fortnightly printout of same to be kept on record.”The district magistrates shall also review the court/tribunal cases on a fortnightly basis and send a report to the Legal Branch HQ (headquarters) in the prescribed format…,” the guidelines stated.The district magistrates may also bring to the notice of divisional commissioner (headquarters-II) the matters for escalating to appropriate level if any lapse on the part of government counsel is observed.last_img read more

Ohio State field hockey splits with Ball State Ohio moves toward Big

Members of the OSU field hockey team celebrate during a game against Ball State on Sept. 14 at Buckeye Varsity Field. OSU won, 3-2, in overtime.Credit: Melissa Prax / Lantern photographerJunior forward Peanut Johnson’s breakaway overtime goal gave the Ohio State field hockey team a 3-2 victory Sunday against the Ball State Cardinals to salvage a split of its weekend series.OSU (2-3) returned home Sunday after losing 1-0 to Ohio University (1-3) in Athens, Ohio, Friday night.The Buckeyes showed resiliency as they battled back in overtime after losing a 2-0 lead to the Cardinals.Ball State (3-2) converted off a penalty corner from senior midfielder Tori Widrick that led to an equalizing goal from sophomore midfielder Merinda Morley with 11 minutes left in regulation.In overtime, freshman midfielder Maddy Humphrey grabbed a steal in OSU’s offensive zone and quickly fired a pass to Johnson, who connected on the game winner in front of the net.“I kinda got in the zone,” Humphrey said about her crucial steal and assist. “Last week in our game against Ohio I had the same type of play, but I didn’t (center) it that well. So I did the same play, but I did it well.”OSU jumped out to its early lead thanks to two quick goals from freshman forward Annabel Sams.Sams crossed in front of the net a little more than seven minutes into the game and scored on a pass from Johnson for her first career goal.A minute later, Sams was on the board again off an assist from her fellow freshman, Humphrey.“We started out so quick,” Sams said. “We found each other. We found passes like with my first two goals.”OSU coach Anne Wilkinson said she was proud of her team’s effort. She moved Sams from her normal forward position to the midfield Sunday in order to utilize her athleticism, and said was very pleased.“We were able to create more space for her there,” Wilkinson said. “She’s good at coming from behind and attacking.”Wilkinson said she was happy to see her freshman making contributions to the team in such a big way.“It’s exciting,” Wilkinson said. “I’ve been watching them play for a few years now at a different level, but it’s nice to finally get them on the field (for OSU) and competing.”The Buckeyes lost a closely contested matchup with the Ohio Bobcats Friday before their recovery against the Cardinals.The defenses were on display with both teams combining for four shots in the first half. The game picked up a little in the second frame, but the Buckeyes were unable to capitalize despite outshooting the Bobcats, 10-6.The game’s lone goal came off a rebound shot from Ohio freshman Megan Silveira with 18:55 remaining in the game. The goal snuck just past OSU freshman goalkeeper Liz Tamburro.Friday and Sunday marked the first two times Tamburro did not record double-digit saves in 2014. She saved three shots against the Bobcats and four against the Cardinals.OSU is set to begin Big Ten play Sept. 19 against Michigan State at 3 p.m. at Buckeye Varsity Field. read more

Football DreMont Jones selected No 71 overall by Denver in 2019 NFL

Ohio State redshirt junior defensive lineman Dre’Mont Jones (86) leads the Buckeyes out on the field to start the 2018 Spring Game on April 14, 2018. Credit: Jack Westerheide | Managing Editor for DesignOhio State produced its fifth defensive line prospect in two years Friday, when former defensive tackle Dre’Mont Jones heard his name called as the No. 71 selection by the Denver Broncos in the 2019 NFL Draft.Jones finished his Ohio State career with 114 tackles (22 TFL), 9.5 sacks, three fumble recoveries and a pick-six this past season against TCU.The former Buckeye earned third-team all-Big Ten honors at defensive tackle in 2017, followed by first-team all-Big Ten honors in 2018.Jones’ redshirt junior season was arguably his best, as he finished with career-highs in tackles for loss (13) and sacks (8.5).The St. Ignatius product declared for the NFL Draft in the weeks prior to Ohio State’s contest against Washington in the Rose Bowl, but still participated in the game. read more

Pep Guardiola wants John Stones in midfield

first_imgManchester City manager Pep Guardiola is considering a midfield role for defender John Stones.John Stones made a brief cameo in an advanced midfield role on Sunday as Manchester City defeated Chelsea in the Community Shield match at Wembley.When captain Vincent Kompany came on as a late substitute in the 2-0 Community Shield win over Chelsea, Stones briefly moved up the field.Pep Guardiola was happy with what he saw and hinted at possible playing time in midfield for the Manchester City defender this season. FourFourTwo reports.“John made an excellent World Cup and showed again his personality,” Guardiola said.“I was happy to see him in the last 10 or 15 minutes like a holding midfielder. John maybe can play there. We will see what’s going on in the future.”Premier LeaguePremier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“In the Premier League, there are a huge amount of games and everybody will be involved.”When asked if John Stones will get regular playing time this season, Guardiola said.“John has to know he has to play at a good level because Vincent and Nico [Nicolas Otamendi] are there, and they are going to play.”“Then, they have to play good. In the higher teams in the top tier, when they play in all competitions, you need this kind of competition.”Manchester City remain favourite to win the league. Their league title defence starts away to Arsenal this weekend.last_img read more

Sloop of 53 illegal Haitian migrants intercepted and detained in Providenciales

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, August 8, 2017 – Providenciales – The Ministry of Border Control and Employment advises the public that around 2:30 a.m. today Tuesday 08th August, 2017, an illegal migrant vessel with 53 Haitian nationals was intercepted in the area of West Caicos.The interception of this 35-foot vessel, was due to the collaboration of several agencies, in particular the United States Coast Guard, TCI’s Coastal Radar Station, the Marine Branch of the Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police and private citizens.    The Marine Branch confirmed the vessel as a sloop with 16 females and 37 males on board.   At approximately 4:11 a.m. the sloop arrived in Providenciales where it was met by Immigration and other Task Force officials.The 53 illegal migrants are currently detained and are being processed for repatriation and entry on the Immigration Stop List.    The last attempt of a sloop to enter the islands illegally was the interception of 99 persons on Monday 31st July, 2017, three persons were charged and the others repatriated.The Honourable Deputy Premier and Minister of Border Control and Employment, wishes again to remind persons of his Government’s commitment to improving the protection of our borders and tighter controls on immigration processes.    Additionally, he stated that illegal migration threatens the lives and livelihood of our people and that persons found to be engaged in the smuggling of humans would be prosecuted under the law.    He advises all persons to observe the immigration laws of the Turks and Caicos Islands as anyone found in breach of same will be dealt with accordingly.The Ministry of Border Control and Employment Services hereby extends its profound gratitude to persons in the community and all agencies who have assisted with this and other operations and initiatives, your contribution and support remains invaluable and critical to our success.Press Release: TCIGlast_img read more